Picture : Ghana and Nigeria were very close !
18 for TotalEnergies CHAN Algeria 2022.
The complete field of 18 teams qualified for the TotalEnergies Africa Nations Championships Algeria 2022 to take place next year 2023 is now known. This follows exciting second leg games played allover the continent this past weekend with some dramatic finishes. The qualified teams by zones and their ultimate finishes are:
- North Zone: Hosts, Algeria as well as defending champions, Morocco, and Libya will represent UNAF.
- West A Zone: Senegal are back after 11 years following a shootout to eliminate Guinea 5-3 after two draws in two legs, 1-0, 0-1. 2020 Runners up in the last edition in Cameroon, Mali went through with two wins over Sierra Leone, 2-1 and 2-0. And Mauritania also made it from that zone after defeating Guinea Bissau 2-0 and 1-0.
- West B Zone: Ghana overpowered Nigeria 5-4 in a shootout following two draws of 2-0 and 0-2 to join zonal mates Niger and the Ivory Coast for the Algeria party. Niger lost in the first leg to Togo 0-1 before making repairs at home 3-1. The Ivorians were held to two draws by Burkina Faso before a shootout saw them through with a 5-3 edge.
- Central Zone: The Democratic Republic of Congo whitewashed Chad 5-0 in the second leg after a 1-2 away win to make it alongside Cameroon and the Congo. The former made it 2-0 at home in Garoua against Equatorial Guinea they had lost to 1-2 in the first leg. Meanwhile, Congo qualified on the away-goal principle thanks to their 1-0 second leg win after they had lost 1-2 to the Central Africa Republic playing out of base in Brazzaville.
- Central-East Zone: Ethiopia edged Rwanda at home 1-0 following a 0-0 first leg. Uganda prevailed 3-0 in the second leg after an earlier 1-0 win away over Tanzania. And Sudan won both legs 4-1 and 3-2 over Djibouti.
- South Zone: Angola sacked South Africa 2-0 and 4-1. Madagascar registered a 1-0 win over Botswana followed by a 1-1 second leg draw. Mozambique made it on the away-goal rule following situations of 1-1 and 0-0 with Malawi.