Picture : Lionel Messi broke new Records with his free kick goal !
IFFHS WEEKLY COPA AMERICA 2021 STATISTICS - 13 to 16 JUNE 2021
- Brazil’s National Team has opened with victories in five of the six editions of the Copa América played in their country (1 draw). In 2019 they won 3-0 against Bolivia, the same result as in 2021 against Venezuela.
- Neymar scored his 67th goal for Brazil. Only Pele (77 goals) has scored more in the History of Brazilian National Team.
- Colombia has won his eigth consecutive victory against Ecuador in the Copa America (6 without conceding a goal). It has been 58 years since the last time Ecuador beat Colombia in the compeititon, a 4-3 win back in 1963.
- There are now eleven unbeaten for Argentina against Chile in all competitions (6 wins, 5 draws). The ‘Albiceleste’ has never lost to ‘La Roja’ in the history of the CONMEBOL Copa America (21 wins, 8 draws).
- Lionel Messi scored his third free-kick in the CONMEBOL Copa América: the two previous strikes came against Panama and the United States both in the 2016 edition.
- Lionel Messi surpassed Cristiano Ronaldo as the activr footballer to score the most free kicks after his goal against Chile. He has now scored 57 free kicks in his career, one more than Ronaldo. Messi is five goals short of Diego Maradona career tally of 62 !
- Messi became also Argentina’s all time leading goalscorer in official competition games with 39 goals in 98 matches for the Albiceleste. He surpassed Gabriel Batistuta, who scored 38 before retiring after the 2022 World Cup. Messi joined also Americo Tesoriere (1920-25) as the only players to have featured in six Copa America for Argentina.