Picture : Jessie Fleming, Jordan Huitema and Julia Grosso represent Canada's new generation, already decisive and Gold Medal winner !
OLYMPIC GAMES - FOOTBALL DAY 12
- Canada’s women team won the Olympic Gold Medal in the football tournament in Japan against favorite Sweden after the penalty shoots ! Stephanie Labbe was again the Hero of Canada with the youngsters Jessie Fleming and Julia Grosso, who scored the decisive penalty, and a great Ashley Lawrence. Canada became the 4th Nation to win OLYMPIC GOLD MEDAL after USA (1996, 2004, 2008, 2012), Norway (2000) and Germany (2016).
- Kosovare Asllani made again a great performance in the final but missed the penalty shoot in the decisive moment. Sweden’s playmaker of Real Madrid was really impressive !
- While Canada earned his first Olympic Gold Medal after two Bronze in 2012 and 2016, Sweden lost two Olympic finals in the two last Olympic Games.
- Five years ago, Sweden was described at the Olympic Games as a highly defensive style of play. After reaching their second successive Olympic final, the defensive solidity remains but now there is an attacking spark totally different to that of Rio 2016. With Asllani pulling the strings, Sofia Jakobsson and Fridolina Rölfo terrorising the wings and Stina Blackstenius in incredible goal scoring form, Sweden was with Netherlands the most creative team of the Olympic tournament.
- Despite of their experience ( Lindahl, Eriksson, Asslani, Seger, Schough, Jakobsson and Blackstenius were all involved in the Olympic final 2016 in Rio, it was not suffisant to achieve gold this time around.
- Christine Sinclair has earned the right to be labelled as a Canada legend after making over 300 appearances and scoring 187 goals for her country, winning her FIRST Gold Medal in a great Event !
- Canada have named the same lineup for their quarter-final and semi-final ties, but coach Bev Priestman made the appropriate changes to lead his team to the Gold Medal.
- Bev Priestman, the English Manager of Canada, won the Olympic Gold Medal for her first great event with Canada ! she is in charge of the National team since 2020.
- The Canadian defensive line of Chapman, Buchanan, Gilles and Lawrence in front of goalkeeper Labbe have only conceded four goals in the six games of the Olympic Tournament.
- Before the final, Canada has suffered 14 losses (with just 5 wins) in 23 all time matches against Sweden, dating back to their first meeting on July 5, 1987 in Minnesota.
- Sweden was unbeaten in the last 3 matches (2 wins) against Canada, earning a 1-0 victory at the FIFA World Cup 2019 in France.
- Mexico men’s olympic team won the Bronze medal of the Tournament with a decisive Sebastian Cordova, who scored one goal and gave two assists !
- After the Gold Medal in 2012, Mexico won Bronze in the historical remake of the same match Mexico-Japan in 1968 when Japan won the Bronze in Mexico !