Picture : Carli Lloyd and Megan Rapinoe , great players at great moments !
OLYMPIC GAMES - FOOTBALL DAY 11
· Carli Lloyd has now the Record of the most Olympic appearances with 22 with Christie Pearce Rampone. She marked also today the 312th international cap, to become the second most capped in US international soccer behind Kristine Lilly (354).
· Carli Lloyd scored the winning goal in the gold medal game at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. In 2008, she scored the 1-0 overtime victory against Brazil, and in 2012 she scored both goals in the USA’s 2-1 victory against Japan.Today she scored two goals for the Bronze Medal game ! Lloyd is the team’s leading scorer heading into the Olympics with 128 career goals. Her 10 career goals at the Olympics rank FIRST in USWNT history, before Abby Wambach with nine.
· The USA has now reached the medal round in six of its seven trips to the Olympics. In its previous five such trips, the USA has captured four gold medals and one silver, and now for the first time Bronze.
· Australian Outside back Ellie Carpenter received a straight red card in stoppage time of the semifinal and was suspended for the bronze medal game. Olympique Lyon player Carpenter was the youngest player at the time to play in the NWSL at 18 years, 12 days with Portland Thorns.
· With 48 international goals in 99 caps, Samantha Kerr is the leading scorer on the squad and became today the all-time leading scorer in Australia Women’s National Team history.
· Crystal Dunn leads the USA in minutes played at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics with 540 in 6 matches. Dunn and Horan are the only players to start each of all six games for the USA at Tokyo 2020.
· For the first time in History, Australia’s Matildas finished in the Top 4 of Olympic Games Tournament !
· Veterans Megan Rapinoe and Carli Lloyd scored twice each in a spectacular win of USA against Australia in the Bronze medal game ! Great players made for great moments at 36 and 39 years !